Brie (brieza) wrote,
Brie
brieza

  • Mood:
  • Music:

The Amazing Mini-Chicken Family (April Project Spectrum)

This weekend really wasn't all that productive. I mainly knit...chickens:



At KWA, nearly everyone, including me, had a sock with them and worked on them at least part of the time. Somehow I managed to screw up my pattern pretty badly and then managed to completely screw up my tinking and frogging of it, so I pulled the sock all the way out and it is now waiting for me to get inspired to start it again. So, after that, I actually decided to attempt Catherine. At knit group. I did pretty well though and got about 24 rows done on one of the body pieces. Catherine is big! Her body is two parts, each of which is roughly 94 rows by 47 stitches. I'm at row 75 and am quite happy with my progress and I really like the yarn that I'm using for her.

Also at KWA, I bought some Crazy Monkey Creations yarn from Christy. It included a couple of skeins of fingering yarn dyed yellow and orange. Now I'm not an orange or yellow type person. I can't wear most shades of it, and actually really have a hard time discerning the colors properly as I am partially colorblind. But I was hoping for some inspiration for Project Spectrum: April, a month that up until now, I didn't know how I was going to tackle. So when I wanted a break from Catherine, I dug out A World of Knitted Toys and glanced through it. I found the chickens, and thinking they would be quick, cast on for them. First, I should have notices that at 2.5 - 3 inches tall in worsted weight, they would be miniature in fingering weight. It didn't really strike me how tiny they were going to be until I was knitting the wings. The wings the chicks are smaller than my thumbnail and the wings on the chicken and cockerel are only slightly bigger. These guys were really fiddly to make up - I needed tweezers to turn them right side out, I used the end of a plastic yarn needle as a stuffing tool, and I had to trim most of the fuzz off the pipe cleaners for the legs. I wasn't able to find a solution I liked for the chicks' beaks (the beaks I used on the chicken and cockerel didn't seem to fit), so the chick are beakless for now. Due to the fact that they are so tiny, these chickens took probably 14 hours total to complete.

Chickens on my laptop cover:


Chicken with an Egg (size large) for scale:


Materials:

Chicken bodies: Crazy Monkey Creations yarn in an unlabeled color.
Crests and red plumage: KnitPicks Palette in Red
Green plumage: KnitPicks Palette in Green
Eyes: KnitPicks Palette in Black
Beaks: Tan pipe cleaners with most of fuzz shaved off
Feet: Brown pipe cleaners with most of the fuzz shaved off
Patterns: World of Knitted Toys, minor modifications made due to size
Tags: knitting, kwa, stuffed animal
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 5 comments